FINALLY! Look at some pictures!

Monday, April 5, 2010

"What the hell are you doing here?!?!"

As some of you know and some of you don't, for my Easter break I flew home to Wisconsin to surprise everyone. It was my overly generous mom's idea and doing actually, so many many thanks to her! She decided that it would be fun if we kept it a secret and didn't tell anyone, even my dad, that I was coming home. Peter was the only one other than my mom and myself that knew - someone had to pick me up from the airport!

On Friday the 26th, I took an overnight flight back home to the US. During the week I sent my mom email after email (MOM I need a haircut appointment; MOM order me more L'Bri; MOM this and MOM that), and after a week of NO replies, I get an email that says, "Leave me alone." Love you too, Mom. I also sent my itinerary to Peter a million times to ensure that he would know when to pick me up. I was pretty paranoid because I was pretty sure my US phone wouldn't work (it didn't), and airport pick-ups are HARD these days if one party doesn't have a phone. I don't know HOW people did it in the olden days. Thank goodness I had my Kindle and was able to send a quick email re-giving my flight information telling him that I would meet him at the baggage claim.

My flight arrived from Atlanta (where I went through customs) 15 minutes early. I made friends with the guy sitting next to me on the flight, and he let me use his phone to call Peter. As I'm sitting on the plane, I leave a super enthusiastic message: "HI PETER! It's Sara, but I'm calling from someone else's phone! Our plane just landed!! I'm on the Delta flight 5054 from ATLANTA!! So I'll meet you at the baggage claim!!! I'm so excited to see you!" Damien, my new friend, told me that I could use his phone again when we got our bags. What a nice guy!

We get to the baggage claim, and I'm expecting my bag to come out LAST, as usual, but of COURSE, the one time I actually need a little time, my bag is the first one off the conveyor belt. I waited with Damien as he got his bags, and then I used his phone again. This message was less enthusiastic. "Hi Peter, it's Sara again. I'm getting a little nervous that you're not answering your phone again. I got my bags, and I'm waiting at the Delta baggage claim - flight 5054 from Atlanta. I'll see you really soon!" I really was getting nervous about him not answering his phone, because he's one of those people who always has his phone, so of course I'm jumping to the most extreme conclusions: Oh my gosh, he's been in a horrible car accident. Oh my gosh, he slept through his alarm. Oh my gosh, he forgot about me.

I was standing by the baggage claim, getting a sore neck from turning my head from side to side so much. I lean against the wall. I watch the airport men take the unclaimed baggage off the conveyor. I'm beginning to brainstorm ways that I can ask a stranger to use their cell phone. An hour later, I am near tears, and I decide to sit down. A woman sitting next to me with the CUTEST kids ever asked me to watch their bags so that she could take the kids to the bathroom (I'm guessing the boy was 4 and the girl was 2). Perfect. My in. When she comes back, I ask her if I can use her cell phone. Of course I can!!! "Heyyyyyyy Peter, I'm getting REALLY worried about you. I'm sitting now between A and B, so please come find me. Ok... Bye..." I hang up the phone and call my mom. And start crying (so much for staying strong).

Sara: MOM (sniffle sniffle), Peter isn't here yet, I'm sitting by myself, and I'm really worried about him. What am I supposed to do?!?!
Mom: Sara? Who's phone are you calling from?
Sara: The nice lady sitting next to me. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO (gasp-sniffle-gasp)??
Mom: Calm down. Mr. Romenesko called me, and Peter left at 9 (it's 10:45AM at this time). He forgot his cell phone but-
Sara: WHAT?! HOW COULD HE FORGET HIS PHONE (gasp gasp and crying harder)?? I'M GOING TO KILL HIM.
Mom: Calm down, Sara. He has Corbin's phone. Just drink some water, and he'll be there soon, I promise.
Sara: BUT MOM I DON'T KNOW CORBIN'S PHONE NUMBER.
Mom: Sara. You. Are. Fine. He will be there.
Sara: Ok, bye. *hang up*

My thoughts at this moment in time: I am SO mad. I'm not even going to TALK to Peter when I see him. I'm just going to GET in the car, and GO to sleep. When we get to his house, I'm going to eat lunch with his parents, and then I'm going to go to SLEEP, and not even LOOK at him. *Yes, I apologized for these thoughts later.

Trying to compose myself, I give the woman her phone back. Her son, the 4ish year old, puts his hand on my knee and says, "What's taking Peter so long?" AWWWWWWWW Thank goodness I had these two little cuties to distract me. I'm not crying any more, but anytime I think about my situation and how I'll never be getting home, I get teared up. I see a man. Peter?!?! No, an Asian. I see another man. PETER??!? No, an old grandpa with a cane. My eyes were REALLY deceiving me.

Another hour later (11:45AM), I'm trying to work up the courage to ask the nice woman to use her phone again so that I can call my mom. I look around ONE MORE TIME, and I FINALLY see Peter walking towards me. I grab my bags, and I say (not nicely - which I DID feel bad about later) "Peter. PETER." in a dull, monotone voice. He hugs me (I looked HORRIBLE, by the way), and says, "I'm so sorry. How are you?" And I, being the kind, gentle, subtle person that I am, say, "I'm mad. Can we just go to the car?"

As we're walking, I decide to talk to him and get his side of the story. He forgot his phone. Not horrible. He stopped at the hardware store to pick up his brother's phone, so he would at least have one. He calls his house, and tells his dad to answer the phone if it rings. Mr. Romenesko doesn't. He calls the house later and tells his dad to check his messages. Three are from me. Mr. R tells Peter "Sara's worried." I'm so glad he picked up on my tone... Mr. R tells Peter that I'm at the international terminal. This is the killer. Peter got to the airport right on time, but was in the wrong spot.

At this time, I'm feeling REALLY bad about being so mean, especially because Peter was SO nice and even brought me a St. Norbert sweatshirt so that I could change out of my overnight flying clothes. We get in the car. He turns it on. THE HOOD STARTS SMOKING. I turn into mean Sara again - "Well, Peter, the good news is that Jenna and Mark live 20 minutes away. The BAD news is that if we have to CALL them the WHOLE SURPRISE IS RUINED." Smooth. Peter pops the hood, and we need to stop at a gas station. We'll make it home ok... He thinks.

When we get to his house, I eat lunch with the Romeneskos while Mr. R takes a look at Peter's car. He comes in the house and says, "Let me tell you, you two are REALLY lucky you made it home." Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat. I took a nap for the rest of the afternoon. The surprise was at 6:30PM at my house. My whole mom's side of the family was there. No one knew I was coming home except Mom.

Peter walks in the door first, and all of my sisters do an awkward "Peterrrr... Hiiiii" kind of that what-are-you-doing-here hi. Then, I walk in. My dad was the first one to see me, and he looks at me and says, "What the hell are you doing here?!?!?" Love you too, Dad. The next thing he says (no, 'I love you Sara!' or 'I've missed you sooooooo much you're my favorite daughter!') is, "WHY didn't IIIIII know you were coming home?" Dad. No one knew. Relax. Dinner was amazing (ALL AMERICAN FOOD IS AMAZING, I've come to find), and the rest of the night went VERY smoothly, despite my morning...

It was a wonderful trip home, and I arrived back in Quito around 10PM Easter Sunday night. I hopped in a cab (after being told it would be $10 dollars to get home, I said NO, and then settled for 5 when it SHOULD have been 2), and arrive at my house, which got FURNISHED while I was away, so now I have a kitchen table and COUCHES!! I go up to my room to find the door is locked. LOCKED. I emptied my entire suitcase on the landing floor looking for the stupid key, and of COURSE I don't find it. 33 minutes and 7 bobby pins later I picked the lock. I was sweating, swearing, and MAD by the time I get into my room. I shoved my clothes in my room, and fell asleep in my bed.

When I woke up this morning, AWESOME - there's no hot water!!! So I look HORRIBLE today with a day's worth of travel-grime on my body. At least I don't have to teach today. We're having kind of like a teacher's in-service, but it's mostly meetings where we talk about the students.

Until next time,
Sara the lock-picker.

1 comment:

  1. Any good illustrators out there...this has got to be an illustrated book...H-E-L-L-O-O-O-O, we need a humorous, satire-like illustrator!!! I just love your stories, my dear!
    The almost retired teacher!

    ReplyDelete