FINALLY! Look at some pictures!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And then I thought, "OHMYGOD. I'm going to die. I didn't get a rabies shot."

The last couple of weeks have provided WONDERFUL weather, so I often find myself slathering on sunscreen (SPF 30 - for my mother) and spending the days or afternoons outside. My cheeks and nose have adopted a permanent hue of pink. My students make fun of me. One of them asked me today if I wished I was black. Excuse me? I had no idea how to respond, so, I turned it back on her: "Well, do you wish YOU were black?" She said no, she likes the color of her skin (I would describe it as a light mocha), so I said that I liked the color of my skin too. THAT was awkward.

On Friday, inspired by the beautiful weather and the excess amount of stress that my job has dealt me, I decided to run. I know, I know. I've never done anything of the sort in my life, but I thought that I should have a positive outlet for all of the negative emotions that I have after school (mostly FRUSTRATION). So, I put on some running capri pant-things (that I've previously used as pajamas), found a tank top, dug my Nikes out of my closet, made a "running" playlist on my iPod, rubbed some sunscreen on my face and shoulders, and set off.

As soon as I stepped outside, I started sweating (direct equatorial sun-rays? HOT), and my "look at me becoming a runner" attitude wilted just the tiniest bit. I gave the security guard a little wave, and pushed play. Not even kidding, half a block from my house, a stray dog (there are a million) starts barking. Now, usually the dogs will just bark at you, but remain in their place, as you walk/run (in my case "light jog") by. Not this one. Before I knew it, I was legit being chased by this dog. The whole episode lasted probably a total of 15 seconds, but in that time I: turned around and started RUNNING (REALLY running) the other way, screaming loud enough that I could hear myself over my iPod (which was loud), and then I thought, "OHMYGOD. I'm going to die. I didn't get a rabies shot."

To make the situation even more embarrassing (God forbid I be alone), the security guard came out of his port-a-potty sized hut and asked me if I was ok. NO I am NOT ok. DO you see that BEAR-sized dog (it was probably actually the size of... who am I kidding, I don't know anything about dogs. But it was between a Jack Russel Terrior [miss you Pixie and Perdy!] and a yellow lab) barking, baring it's teeth, and RUNNING AFTER ME?!?! I smiled and kept running. The dog stopped chasing me when I got out of it's turf.

I slowed down to a walk and was DYING (but so happy to be alive). After I stopped sprinting for my LIFE, I realized that I was running faster for that fifteen seconds than I thought I was. WHEW I was out of BREATH, and I could feel my face THROBBING in the heat. And OBVIOUSLY I was sweating. Nevertheless, I have become a dedicated runner - as in the I don't run up that street anymore, and I've left my house in my running gear 4 of the last 5 days, come back sweating disgustingly with my face redder than I've ever seen it, and woken up sore the next day. Yippee.

On Saturday, I was out of my house most of the day (running for a small portion) helping students with their Open House projects. When I came back, Olga, the maid, met me at the door: "Teacher Sarita! I have a surprise for you in your bathroom. I know you will love it." Nervous? I was too.

THIS is what I found:

Thanks, Olga. Now every time I walk into my bathroom, I start laughing.

At school this week, it's been quite hectic. We've started the entire year review, which is horrible, especially since their trimester exam is only on the last two units. It doesn't make sense, but then a lot of things in this country still boggle my mind. So anyways, I don't even know what I was doing, but my head snapped up from my desk to a shriek that I know all too well: David. I don't know HOW this happened, but David, somehow, got white-out EVERYWHERE. All over his hands, the floor, his FACE, his pencil case, the girl next to him - EVERYWHERE. After I yell his name, he looks up at me with that dopey grin. What a kid.

Speaking of David, last Friday, the kids had to take a unit test. Part of the grammar they learned was the correct form for sentences using "wish" and then regrets. So, on the test (I have to make them, and it's awful), the kids had to write five of their own wishes, and 4 of their own regrets. Here are some, for your reading pleasure. Notice a common theme? Me too.

WISHES
- I wish that I hit David and his stupid bubble gum. (I commented "Me too!" on that one)
- I wish I ate a big hot dog.
- I wish I caught that wild cat.
- I wish David popped his bubble gum in his eye.

REGRETS
- I should have crushed David's project.
- I shouldn't have gone to Australia. I got hit by a kangaroo! Ouch!
- I shouldn't have eaten that fried chicken. I feel really sick.
- I should have popped David's bubble gum in his face.

We love David! At least they did alright on the grammar?

Until next time,
Sara the dedicated (ask me in a week if I'm still "running") runner.

3 comments:

  1. Sara, I'm so impressed you've started running! If you keep it up until August, imagine how much easier it would be to continue without equatorial sun and rabieslicious street dogs! - Stephie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, then in August I can watch her outrun every bug and mosquito on Mohawk road and take GREAT pleasure in it!!! Yes, Sara my love, I would probably laugh so hard.....
    Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara. You NEED to publish your stories in a book. I would probably buy 20 copies...at least. Everytime I read your blog, I laugh out loud and it totally makes my day! Thank you so much!

    ~L Bahn

    ReplyDelete