FINALLY! Look at some pictures!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

"Teacher, will you miss your mother on Mother's Day?"

This was the most asked question that I received last week, which is normal, considering Mother's Day is all over the TV here, and everyone is doing something with their families. Yes, I will miss my mother a LOT on Mother's Day.

Holidays, no matter how big or how small, are the days that I am the most homesick. They don't even have to be holidays, really. I found myself missing home terribly on Friday when Taylor was crowned Prom Queen, and I couldn't see in person how beautiful she looked or the look of surprise on her face as they announced her name. So today, in an attempt to keep myself busy enough to not sink into a sad and lonely state, I went to an artesian market, made a few purchases and read in the park until clouds covered the sky and it looked like it may rain. Despite the fact that I was out and about, I was - and still am, for that matter - thinking about my mom, and all of the mothers that are out in the world.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know mothers from not only the United States, but from all parts of the world. All of these mothers are the "best mom in the world!", and this is true - each mother is the best mother in the world to her children. I can proudly say, that I too, have the best mother in the world.

As many of you know, I have been babysitting since the now-illegal age of 10 years old. During high school, I swore up and down that I would NEVER be a parent like my own mom was: a classic "mean mom" who gave us a curfew and punished us if we went past it, who wouldn't let us see our friends on Sunday because it is "family day", and who never let us sleep past 9AM on weekends. But, after caring for other people's children and having a very intimate view of how other mothers function, I realize that I have become more like my mom than I ever thought I would. And do you know what? I'm OK with that.

My mom always made family a priority, and now, being so far from my family, I couldn't be happier. Because of this, I can honestly say that my siblings are some of my closest friends. People who know my family have often told me that we are "abnormally close" and get along "surprisingly well". Thank you, Mom, for giving me all 6 of my wonderful siblings.

My mom also forced politeness upon us, making us hug all of our relatives upon leaving any sort of family occasion, and threatening our lives if we didn't behave in church. Although sometimes the threats didn't work (silent laughter fits in the middle of mass, anyone?), people who have known us "since [we] were born!" come up to my parents in church and congratulate them on how well-behaved we are. To be honest, we've gotten worse as we've gotten older, but still, it's nice to hear that you're polite once in awhile. Thank you, Mom, for beating politeness into me.

Among many other things, my mom gave me a mind of my own. If she didn't love and support me as much as she does, I would never have had the opportunity to be living and teaching in a foreign country. She wasn't wild about the idea of me coming here, but she never once told me no. She never even asked me if I was sure that I was making the right decision. My mom saw that I wanted to do this, and she respected it, never once telling me that she didn't want me to leave. Thank you, Mom, for letting me think for myself.

As I just pass the four month mark of being in Ecuador, I sit here realizing how blessed my siblings and I are, for having the best mom in the world.

We don't tell our mothers enough how much we appreciate them and how much we really love them. Don't just do it today - do it as often as you can.

So, to all of the wonderful mothers in the world who love their children, we love you too.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment